Thursday 9 August 2012

Punching Like A Girl

In August 2009, the International Olympic Committee's Executive Board announced the inclusion of women's boxing for the London 2012 Games. A side story for most, it is fair to say. But in Ireland, the countdown began. The years turned to months, the months to days, and the days to four two-minute sessions on a Thursday afternoon, until the preeminent pugilist in the female game was finally crowned. Katie Taylor, Olympic champion.

At this point, I must disclose perhaps the most controversial opinion since my preference of sparkling water to its still counterpart: I'm not sure I really like Katie Taylor. I find her religious convictions preachy and proselytizing, her personality bland and standoffish, and her voice strips the enamel from my teeth. But none of that matters. Just give her the gloves and a yard of canvas. The girl is a phenomenon.

I've already written on her achievements thus far and her standing in the pantheon of Irish sporting greats. That was two weeks ago. What we have seen in the past four days is little short of a revolution. The thought of Ireland grinding to a halt to watch Taylor would have seemed crazy a short while ago - this is the same Taylor whose World Championships triumphs were not even broadcast on television in this country. We now stand a nation mesmerized, a nation united, a nation inspired.

When women's pole vault was introduced in 2000, it was Yelena Isinbayeva (left) who became the flag bearer for the discipline, the athlete to transcend the peripheral sport in which she competed to catapult it into the global spotlight. A 24 year old from Bray has done that for women's boxing. If this was the last time we see her in a ring, then it was a fitting way to bow out. But you'd better believe this isn't the end. The actions of the greats will endure - the achievements of Katie Taylor will reach far beyond today.

3 comments:

  1. You just wanted to throw the other picture there. I didn't realize I cared so much but my hands are shaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise Jebus! Give yourself some credit Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about Katie's bland personality boy. Listening to her reminds me of Frank Stapleton....his monotonous, flat Dublin (and yes I know she's from Wicklow, but she's from Bray, so it's more like Dublin there) brogue never really gets anyone excited.

    Interviewer - "Katie, you won the Lottery!"

    Katie - (In flat uninterested voice) "Yeah, I just wen' ou' an' bough' a ticke' an' de rest just happened, do yer know whar I mean?"

    ReplyDelete